?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Chronarchy

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Chronarchy.com

Links
Ár nDraíocht Féin
Three Cranes
MySpace
Chaos Matrix
OSU PSA

November 3rd, 2004


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:15 am - A vote uncast is your own damn fault
The general consensus on my friends list is "What's wrong with Ohio?"

A quote heard this morning on the way to work was, "What the fuck's wrong with this state?"

The last actual vote was cast in Ohio at 4:51 AM today, Wed., Nov. 3, 2004. There were not enough voting machines in the poorer precincts, and I suspect that had a real effect on the voting. I would like to point out, though, that it's their own damn fault for leaving, if they did.

Issue 1, which bans anything that might "approximate" marriage, has passed. Fine, whatever. If the people want to destroy our reeling economy and break the bank, and endanger their own rights to boot, the people have the right to do so.

If Ohioans really want Bush that bad, they can have him. Honestly, there's nothing more that we can do at this point. The people, like it or not, have chosen their next president.

Those people outside the US, wish us luck. We have just given the popular mandate to Bush. If he didn't win last time, he did this time.

The Columbus Zoo has replaced their levy, which rocks. The Smoking Ban passed, which I'm still divided on. And I need a raise now to pay for the frickin' school levy, because my taxes just priced themselves out of my budget.

In all, I'm happy with the end result. The people have spoken. And damn, did they ever speak loudly!

Would I change some of the outcome if I could? Sure. But I'm incredibly happy that the people decided to get out and vote. And that, my friends, is all that matters.
Current Mood: accomplished
Current Music: "Cowboy in the Jungle", -JB

(19 comments Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:ninjer
Date:November 3rd, 2004 05:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well said. I'm sick of all this bullshit on my lists about how the system was broken just because their candidate lost. It's amazingly childish.

It's one thing to be pissed about the outcome (which is valid) and another entirely to think the outcome automatically indicates a problem somewhere (besides in our fellow Americans).

I'm only divided on the smoking ban because I don't like smelling cigs at a bus stop, or on a sidewalk, but I really think it should be up to a bar or a restaurant to police their own airspace. If you don't like the smoke there, don't eat there. It's like if you really really hate the music the place plays, you don't pass an Elvis ban, and if you really hate the decorations, you don't pass a stained glass lamp ban.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 3rd, 2004 05:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
If there is a problem anywhere, I think, it is certainly with our fellow Americans. You're absolutely right.

Hot damn, I think maybe we should try to get a stained glass lamp ban on the next ballot!
From:ex_acousticd43
Date:November 3rd, 2004 06:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
Here here
[User Picture]
From:anivair
Date:November 3rd, 2004 06:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
The problem is, though, that the outcome might not be valid. Do you actually think that record numbers of voters turned out nationwide because they were so desperate to maintain the status quo? The facts are that the numbers just don't add up. And given the Bush administrations shakey history with teh truth I would say it's both defeatist and ignorant to simply accept the numbers at face value when they make so little sense.
[User Picture]
From:ninjer
Date:November 3rd, 2004 01:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No, I do believe it. I saw the record lines, and I saw a lot of Bush supporters out in force.

I honestly believe the status quo, as it were, did turn out. They saw how big the progressive push was, how big the Rock the Vote movement was and quietly rallied to their own cause. The Republicans were doing tons of their own grassrooting while we were doing ours, and we were too swept up in our we're-gonna-win fever to notice.

No, I have no doubt that the results are valid, because I never thought we were the majority. Especially not in the states where Bush and his evil bastards won, which are states which have traditionally voted Republican, no questions asked.
[User Picture]
From:smithing_chick
Date:November 3rd, 2004 05:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
I reiterate my earlier comment--

Fuck.

I will further add that I need sleep.
[User Picture]
From:capriciouslass
Date:November 3rd, 2004 06:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
We have just given the popular mandate to Bush.
Actually, as I pointed out to my daughter this morning, if Bush is intelligent he will realize that nearly half of the voters did not want him. To me that means he hasn't gotten a popular mandate, he just squeaked by. He needs to be careful which toes he steps on in the next 4 years, they may be connected to the butts that the republicans need to kiss then.
From:moonversion
Date:November 3rd, 2004 07:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Politics is just ever so grand. :) To be honest, I am glad I am leaving the country (yes, yes it's not even 30% because of the current politics but they do not assist my choice to leave the US and yes, yes I know I will most likely get flamed for even saying this because gods forbid I have a different way of life and have pride in my birthplace but am leaving it *gasp!*). I honestly believe, that unlike last election, the voting system has worked no matter the outcome. More people voted and perhaps it will be a much needed kick in the pants for the "get out and vote" people to realize they need to preach year round and not just before such a major election.... vote early, vote often. ;)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 3rd, 2004 08:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
vote early, vote often

Gotta love the city motto of Chicago.
From:moonversion
Date:November 3rd, 2004 08:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
Chicago rocks.
[User Picture]
From:roc441
Date:November 3rd, 2004 08:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
I must say that although I am pretty depressed with the out come of the election I disagree that people in precincts where lines were that drastically long, that they were waiting until 4:30 in the morning to vote, are completly guilty if they didn't vote. People have a lives, and people have jobs that they need to be at. I live in a wealthy suburb and I only had to wait about ten minutes. I do believe that if someone's polling place had fewer machines, because it was a poorer area, and therefore a longer line, that they have been disenfranchised.

I'm not going to sit around and whine about how unfair the election was just because my canidate lost (although not officially just yet) but am going to disagree when you say that people who left because of long lines have no one but themsleves to blame.

And I am quite disapointed because I really though there would be a lot more people my age that would vote, but the numbers still came out absurdly low.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 3rd, 2004 08:04 am (UTC)
(Link)
Surprisingly, the Conservatives were claiming that the youth vote actually benefited them. I suspect that there were a lot of Dem-aligned under-25's who thought that it was a lock for Kerry, and so didn't bother to vote.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 4th, 2004 05:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
No, that's what someone local in Ohio's GOP said. I have no idea if it was true or not. Just pointing out that they seemed to think that the youth vote benefitted them more than Kerry.
[User Picture]
From:borabora385
Date:November 3rd, 2004 11:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
no all the kerry people I knew were passionate about getting in to vote no matter what...there are a LOT of young republicans at OSU...
[User Picture]
From:agrnmn
Date:November 3rd, 2004 12:10 pm (UTC)

Poor precincts

(Link)
What about a person with kids? How can you stay there until 3:00 am? Babysitter (asssuming you can get and afford one) wont stay that long. Maybe they could miss work assuming there boss allows it (regardless of the law) cause it would suck to lose their job. Unequal access is discriminatory its that simple.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 3rd, 2004 12:21 pm (UTC)

Re: Poor precincts

(Link)
Thing is, though, I'm not at all sure that the poor precincts had fewer machines. I just think they might have. We blew away expections on turnout, too. It's hard to say whether it was poor planning, or opportunistic poor planning.
From:tanrinia
Date:November 4th, 2004 05:14 pm (UTC)

Re: Poor precincts

(Link)
mr. blackwell, who IS an elected official for future election reference, predicted 73% turnout. we had less, and places were still overwhelmed. given his other decisions there is no doubt in my mind it was anthing less than intentional.
[User Picture]
From:rfunk
Date:November 6th, 2004 08:05 am (UTC)

Blackwell

(Link)
When Blackwell's term expires (two more years) he's hoping to be Ohio's first Black Governor. I doubt he'll run for Sec of State again.
From:tanrinia
Date:November 6th, 2004 08:07 am (UTC)

Re: Blackwell

(Link)
yes, but i don't think (from some insiders i talked to) the party is Very Happy with his negative publicity from this election, so i'm not sure how likely it is that he'll receive the nod.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com