?

Log in

No account? Create an account
The self is like a diamond as big as the Ritz - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Chronarchy.com

Links
Ár nDraíocht Féin
Three Cranes
MySpace
Chaos Matrix
OSU PSA

October 10th, 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
02:03 pm - The self is like a diamond as big as the Ritz
Reading Cosmic Trigger, I came down with something. It's one of those things about RAW's work: it's got infectious ideas. I may not be convinced that these ideas are good, but they certainly resonate.

Anyway, RAW partitions off his personality into several facets. He seems to define them by a captialized word: Shaman, Skeptic, Mystic, and Poet.

I never planned to pick this up. At some point, though, probably about two or four months ago, I started doing this. I talk about things, though, I've begun to slip into this (rather useful) method of describing what's going on.

The Magician, for instance, is the one who has no fear, who laughs. He's not as strong as he used to be, but he's my first line of defense when things go wrong. He tests the waters when he knows there are pirhanas in the river, dances with tentacles, and sings in the rain.

The Shaman rarely bothers to come out, but his interest is perked by certain things. He's never been a big part of me, really. Well, not since I realized that DJ Conway was full of more shit than anyone I'd ever read.

The Scholar cuts through the bullshit, and is probably half the reason that the Shaman went into hiding. The Scholar pointed out early on that Shamanism has no place in Celtic religion as I practice it, and so the Shaman decided he wasn't going to be very important either. These pieces can fight it out, too, and sometimes come to understandings.

The Historian is slightly different than the Scholar, and he gets hung up on little hour-long documentaries on the Falkland Islands war, recreating and reenacting things in an accurate manner, and any map that shows troop movements (regardless of battle or time period).

The Priest turned tail and hid recently. He's afraid of coming out. Of all the roles that are played within me, this one has had the hardest time with everything recently. Gods, I want him back.

There are other parts of me, more complicated and less complicated parts. But for now, this is a good start.
Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: "Everybody's On the Run", -JB

(31 comments Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:singingwren
Date:October 10th, 2005 10:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
If you want to see how difficult it is to override the environmental factors, go into a church and try to curse.

*giggles* I seem to remember you doing this right off the bat, actually. And me for some reason bringing up Queen of the Damned, which I also got elbowed for. Whoops, damn amoral heathens. Good thing we were talking quietly.

We did just fine after the initial confusion, though, and what you say held true. Once I had determined that I was Christian and there to pay homage to God, cursing do not cross my mind. It would have been Wrong. I was very muchly so comfortable settling into the religious environment, or at least I was up until I was suddenly thrown into an alarming social gathering in the middle of service that involved frantically shaking everybody's hand and wondering what was going on. I was definitely riding a new horse down an icy hill there, hahaha. Hopefully, whenever we get our asses... er, buttocks to Mass, I will be better prepared. :P
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 10th, 2005 10:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I did manage to do it in church. Of course, I overrode that by short-circuiting the mental pathways that would usually stop that. Namely, I no longer consider "damn" a curse-word.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 10th, 2005 10:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmm, that's fun! I do the same thing.

Amusingly, a group of people I knew once got into a discussion about me cussing, because one of them had been surprised to hear me say something (I think it was "bitch.") Anyway, they said that they had never heard me cuss before, to which the others pretty much laughed in their face. Somebody said that I used the word "damn" (and "thrice-damned") all the time, and upon reflection everybody agreed upon this. They told whoever had been shocked to hear me cuss that they probably just hadn't noticed because i use it so naturally.

The entertaining verdict on "damn":
"When Anna says it, it's not cussing."

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com