?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Chronarchy

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Chronarchy.com

Links
Ár nDraíocht Féin
Three Cranes
MySpace
Chaos Matrix
OSU PSA

November 7th, 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
02:33 pm - An afternoon not-so-quicky
On Thursday, I took the last two hours of the work day off because I'd lost a contact while attempting to mail some things to the ADF Office. I managed to get home and do a load of work around the house, in particular managing to mow the lawn for the last time this year.

Funny, that's starting to become a primary association with Samhain for me: the last weekend of lawn mowing for the year.

I worked around the house for about four hours, until I finally collapsed into a chair and that was about it for me.

Friday saw me working very hard in the morning, trying to get some work done. I finished up and headed home, just getting the last name change off our tracker at 4:55. I called Tina, who wasn't home yet, and flew out the door to try and get home, where I met Tina for a movie. We watched the Legend of Zorro which, unfortunately, was not half as good as the original. I admit to a serious sense of disappointment.

Then again, I think that Catherine Zeta-Jones just isn't as hot since she married Michael Douglas.

But the movie couldn't have been more "B" unless Bruce Campbell starred as Zorro, which is now something I very much want to see.

Saturday morning was spent fighting with a computer to get it to work. I found myself far more satisfied with my Knoppix computing experience that I was with my eventual Windows computing experience on Sunday.

I watched the OSU-Illinois game on Saturday with Brian. I admit: I love watching U of I lose games to us. It's extremely satisfying, given that they rejected me when I applied there.

Sunday saw a severe attack on what needs changed in my life.
  1. The computer got fixed. Mostly. Windows is still bitchy.
  2. about 1/8 of the back yard got weeded (talk about physically draining).
  3. A pomegranate got undone (and eaten Monday morning).
  4. And my boys got some cleaning done, too.

As I was taking a break on some of this stuff, I received a call from some guy claiming to be a state senator or representative or something. This thoroughly pissed me off, much as when Secretary of State Blackwell called me last year and told me to vote for Issue 1, the "gay people forfit rights by being gay" amendment.

When I was down in Cincinnati a few weeks ago, I'd been talking to creature_tamer about the crazy Sec. Blackwell and his call, and he made a good point: I'm supposed to tell my elected representatives how to vote. . . They're not supposed to tell me how to vote.

So this character got an earfull from me about this. He was in support of Issues 2-5, and may very well have turned me off from voting for them. I have done my best to avoid the hype, and in fact have not read them yet because that's how I vote. Issues that are not obviously right or wrong (unlike Issue 1 last year, which has already been interpreted to declare domestic violence charges in unmarried couples unconstitutional and was, in my opinoin, wrong at its very core and intent) I decide on in the voting booth, not really before. It helps me ignore the garbage that is spewed forth by both sides, and just concentrate on the wording.

At this point, if I'm borderline on them, I'm voting against them, purely because the guy thought I couldn't make up my own mind, and further because before even talking to me, he assumed that he was "glad to know I can count on your support." When I asked why he'd called, he said it was because I was a registered independent in a traditionally Democratic district. When I informed him that my vote was my business and he could not "count on my support" he just hung up on me. I felt very much like he didn't want me to think about the issue, but just to vote for it. It made me worry that the Democrats just assume that someone will vote the way they tell their supporters to. "Don't think, just say 'Yes'!" is what it felt like. And it was insulting. He's placed a serious seed of doubt in my mind, as if these issues hide something deeper that, when I try to make up my own mind about them, I'm going to discover some sleeping evil that would be better ignored and left alone. Now, I'm definitely going to feel like that evil is sleeping there.

I am not happy with the bastard right now. He's not even from my district, but he'll be getting a very angry letter.

But Sunday night, I worked well past dark in my back yard. I was weeding and lifting things and moving them, and by the time I went to bed, I had that really good soreness that left me happy and feeling good about myself.

At one point, I took a break from pulling out small trees (yeah, it's been a while since I weeded. . . I'm always at festivals during the prime growing season) and laid back on the bench.

I was on my back, gazing up at the dusky sky, thinking about life and relationships and weeding; mostly, it was this last thing that really brought out the other things.

I had been singing the song "Spooky":

In the cool of the evening
When everything is looking kind of groovy
I call you up and ask you
If you'd like to go with me and see a movie?
First you say no, you’ve got some plans for the night
And then you stop and say all right
Love is kind of crazy with a spooky little girl like you.

I imagine that the choice of song had to do more with the weather than it did with anything else. . . It was a cool evening, 'round 'bout Halloween.

This lead me to thinking about various relationships, and a couple in particular. I had a lot to think about Sunday night, really, and they all sort of came to a head.

But I was thinking of a certain aspect of one of these relationships, and I saw a bird fly from north to south, right over my head.

Now, the Etruscans probably would have considered this a bad omen, given the direction I was facing and the heading of the bird, but I received a very good, very deep feeling from it that made me smile.

A moment later, the same bird flew back over me, south to north, and I felt it again.

I smiled, and then got back to work.

Now, I lay in bed, full stomach, not at all excited about work on Monday.
Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: "Gypsies in the Palace", -JB

(34 comments Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:singingwren
Date:November 7th, 2005 08:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Girls just love it when you call them spooky. :P
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 7th, 2005 08:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Do they now?

Hmm . . .
[User Picture]
From:anivair
Date:November 7th, 2005 08:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yay Knoppix!

Re: voting. You're right, we are supposed to tell our representatives how to vote.

All the same, I tend to just vote democrat. Not because I think every democrat is better than every republican, but because more of them support my views. the party as a whole supports my views (most of them) and while a democrat that I just elected to a judgeship someplace may or may not be marginally better or worse than a republican in the same job they will be more likely to support democrats in larger and more important jobs elsewhere. The more democrats you have locally the more you get nationally. And right now i think our national goveronment deserves more concern than the local. It's the biggest problem we have. Local goveronments can be changed in a few months. the national goveronment is a low moving beast and requires as much momentum as one can provide.

on 2,3,4,5: I don't really know. they sound good. Loopholes? probably, but they sounds like a good idea in concept and I'd rather put them in place and limit them later than vote them down and send the message that we're OK with the way elections and campaigns have been going.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 7th, 2005 08:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I admit that I worry about the reactionism I'm seeing against Blackwell himself in these issues. While I despise the man personally (there is no political figure I have more contempt and dislike for currently), I'm uncomfortable with a ballot initiative to strip the Sec. of State of powers because one man may have misused his grossly.

It's entirely possible that replacing him with a board might be just as bad for the Democrats as it is for the Republicans.

Like I said, though, I'm unsure about these issues. Gotta read them and see how they fit.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 7th, 2005 08:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm paritally on that for certain things, but really, I get more concerned with actual language than I do with the lies I get from both sides.

As an example, apparently the anti-Issue 2-5 camp is talking about how we should vote against it because it's put forth by the same people who took prayer out of our schools. These issues have nothing to do with religion. . . Their argument is nearly useless for trying to form a decision. I've seen a lot of implication that the "devil" is pushing these issues, too.

As for the "for" side, well, they're giving even less information about it. All I'm getting is "Ends corruption, good for Ohio". I've yet to read anything good from either side on why I should vote their way, as is the usual case with minor issues like this. At least the anit-Issues 2-5 side are talking about its interpretation. The pro-Issues 2-5 guys are just saying, "Yes, good."

Dems are for them, Reps are against them.

About the only Issue everyone agrees on is Issue 1 ("Vote Yes for Jobs" is the tag line), which everyone is for. And that makes me overly skeptical about it.

When it comes to candidates, I prefer to listen to both sides over and over and over again to get a good feel for them. Issues, though, come down to the wordings for me.
From:weavingfire
Date:November 7th, 2005 09:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
...When I informed him that my vote was my business and he could not "count on my support" he just hung up on me. I felt very much like he didn't want me to think about the issue, but just to vote for it.

Nice.

That's why I'm green party. No one ever calls me :-)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 7th, 2005 09:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Green party members seem so. . . lonely all the time.
[User Picture]
From:creature_tamer
Date:November 7th, 2005 09:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
A useful resource that's probably more reliable than skimming Google or listening to the special interest groups:

http://www.lwvohio.org/members/postboard/september2005/voterservice.html

Click the links for each issue to read the exact ballot wording, as well as the Ballot Board arguments for and against each issue.

I find the arguments Against issue 3 to be particularly telling (and ironic), since the proposed "campaign finance reform" doesn't decrease corruption, it just isolates it to a particular subset of carefully-chosen special interest groups.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 7th, 2005 09:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*nods* the LoWV is usually pretty good about things.

Thanks for the link.

Just one more fun thing for a Monday, you know :)
[User Picture]
From:rfunk
Date:November 7th, 2005 10:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I find some of the arguments against issue 3 to be rather disingenuous, since it's really only the rich who can take advantage of the current rules (which the statehouse Republicans pushed through not too long ago) allowing contributions of $10,000 per person of any age. Under the current rules, a family of two parents and two elementary school kids can contribute more to a single candidate than I make in a year. Under issue 3, that same family could contribute $4000, forcing the candidate to get support from a lot more people.
[User Picture]
From:triskele
Date:November 8th, 2005 12:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
Bruce Campbell is in Sky High.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 8th, 2005 12:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Funny, as you were typing this, I was just sitting down to watch that.

I was very plesantly surprised :)
[User Picture]
From:rfunk
Date:November 8th, 2005 12:52 am (UTC)

Knoppix, not politics

(Link)
Just install Knoppix on your hard disk and get rid of Windows. :-)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:November 8th, 2005 12:35 pm (UTC)

Re: Knoppix, not politics

(Link)
Tempting, but it can't run Diablo II, which is my standard for, "Do I really want this Operating System?"

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com