Winning Souls for the Gods - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

October 23rd, 2003

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:44 pm - Winning Souls for the Gods
Been looking into the Druid Grove that's starting up here in Columbus. No, not mine. The competition. *captialistic grin*

They *seem* affiliated with OBOD, but I'm not sure. Hard to tell.

They offer OBOD training, but they don't say they're an OBOD group. There's a lot of crazy Wiccany stuff on the webpage, or at least, I think it's Wiccany stuff. I know nothing about OBOD, really, so I can't ever be certain.

I'm wondering a bit whether they're taking OBOD's information and recycling it. That seems to be the most likely thing.

I'm interested in them. After all, if someone is looking for a Druidry that isn't ADF, I'd like to be able to send them somewhere more spiritually fulfilling. I wonder if they would do the same for us. . .

Until I find out, we'll consider them competition. Cooperation only works if both sides are willing.

Oh, my. I don't know what to say. Their Suggested Reading List includes the following:

Douglas Monroe
The 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic and Lore
The Lost Books of Merlyn: Druid Magic from the Age of Arthur

I've decided to let you guys look at the site and let me know what you think:

http://www.groveofthegreatdragon.com/
Current Mood: artistic
Current Music: "Tin Cup Chalice", -JB

From:suicidekttn
Date:October 23rd, 2003 05:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's a cross between The Mists of Avalon (by Bradley) and Wicca.

And their goddess page is lack many cultures...they should atleast put a disclaimer, but that's just my opinion.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 08:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I should really read those books. Never have.

I think they lack a screw or two, as well as some cultures.
From:moonversion
Date:October 23rd, 2003 05:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
OBOD, as much as some people would deny, is heavily influenced by Wiccan practices. The group in questions also appears to be Wiccan but wearing certain sections of OBOD, as you mentioned. However, I can only speak from the view point of an outsider as I am not pagan, a Druid or Wiccan.

According to the OBOD US map they don't exist, but the map may be out of date or not a complete picture.

http://druidry.org/obod/maps/us.html
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 08:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm partially worried that they're stealing OBOD material. I don't think OBOD designates people to teach their stuff, but I will probably be emailing them to find out. . .

I already know they use ADF material.
[User Picture]
From:autumnfey
Date:October 23rd, 2003 05:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
They do seem to be a very fluffy organization and it is interesting that the Witches Rede comes before their Druidic Rules. As for the suggested reading, all very new age. One of the things I admire about you and the ADF is their scholarly approach. Including historical texts and studies as well as modern books. I don't think they are really competition at all - anyone you would want in your grove would probably be very unfullfilled with them. Also, is it normal in Druid groves to have both High Druid and High Druidess (and for them to be married . . .) and don't get me started on the mother running the proto grove.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 08:06 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The idea of "High" anything reminds me of Gully Dwarves from Dragonlance. "Highbulp", "High Poobah", etc.

I was also amused by the mother who runs the Protogrove. Can you tell they stole some ADF nomenclature?

(Still working on getting you sources) :)
[User Picture]
From:fionnghal
Date:October 23rd, 2003 05:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I just skimmed their ethics page. First thing they mention in the first line is Wicca. Their gods page seems to be "under construction" where as their goddesses page is pretty full. They seem pretty much eclectic with a heavy influence of Wicca and with a little OBOD nomenclature for looks.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 08:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you're very right about that. . . They don't look terribly Druid to me, but perhaps that's my fault for having a narrow view of Druidism?

(Not likely in this case, I suppose) :)
[User Picture]
From:kallisti
Date:October 23rd, 2003 05:47 pm (UTC)

"Truth Above All Else?"

(Link)
These people are in for a big suprise!

Generally, I would say run away fast from any group that has Douglas Monroe's books on it. I don't think I need to change that suggestion here. They are really setting themselves up for a fall by choosing that motto! I'm not too impressed...but, if it is what they want to do, and they do it with good intent, then good for them.

ttyl

[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 07:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I found my D&D books more reliable than Monroe. Skip was telling me at Elysium about the time that he met Monroe. Apparently, he was being trailed by two acolytes (kids like, 7 years old or so) in white robes.

Amusingly, this is just before he suddenly ran away to Mexico. . .

I wonder if it had anything to do with his little "apprentices". . .

You're right, though. If it works for 'em, bully for them :)
[User Picture]
From:wishesofastar
Date:October 23rd, 2003 08:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So, what's the deal with Munroe? I haven't read anything by him.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 23rd, 2003 09:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Be greatful. Sexism, tempting deities (e.g. the Wild Hunt himself), and homophobia are all part of the training course.

I have the 21 LOM at home. I won't waste money on the other book.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 28th, 2003 11:03 pm (UTC)

Grove of the Great Dragon

(Link)
I am the webmistress for the website www.groveofthegreatdragon.com.

And here is my explaination to the website.

Yes I have added some wiccan ethics on the page because i think they are good ethics.

Yes there are lots of other "Wiccan" stuff on the site, but a lot of it is information that I personally use, Herbs, Stones, Candles etc.

Yes the rituals were borrowed from ADF. It was the only place we could find decent Druid rituals. And it does state on the ritual page that the rituals were borrowed from them. Once we get our own made up, they will be replaced.

I never stated that we were teaching OBOD courses it states "We are also starting the Druid Study Courses offered by OBOD" meaning we are taking them, not teaching them. We are not taking OBOD's stuff and recycling it, we have just started taking the courses and nothing on our site is from OBOD. We will also not show up on the OBOD's Grove list because we haven't listed with them. I think they have a rule that you have to be in the 3rd yr of training before you can register a Grove with them. The main reason we have gone with OBOD instead of ADF is because they have their full courses completed. Although I don't believe that you have to take either OBOD or ADF courses to be Druid.

Yes I have added Douglas Monroe's books to the reading list, but I have been thinking of removing them, and after reading all the negative comments about them, I think I will.

Yes I know the Gods section is not even started, but I have very limited time in typing out alot of information right now. And I know the Goddess section has only limited information in it for the same reason.

I hope none of this sounded rude. Just trying to explain my reasoning for putting some of this stuff out there. When I started studying, there were/are very few websites that have decent Druid information. The information that I have out there is just what I have gathered through studying. I plan on adding more Druid specific information once I am able to get it all typed out and uploaded.

I know the entire website needs a lot of work done too it. We are not trying to be competition for the ADF group in Columbus. We are just looking for others interested in learning with us.

If anyone has any Comments or suggestions feel free to e-mail me at lunadragnstar@yahoo.com

Thanks
Luna

[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:October 29th, 2003 01:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No rudeness assumed. I'm hoping I didn't come off as a spy :) But concerns are concerns, and I had to look through them.

Will be in contact via email.