December 1st, 2009
|10:06 am - Money, Music, Shirts, and Joss Whedon|
It has been some time since I have posted. I apologize for the delay.
1. After years of checking my credit card balance monthly (and several months earlier this year of checking it almost daily as I was paying it off), I find that I feel odd if I don't check my account balance. . . though it is nice to open it up and find that the balance is still $0.
2. On a related note, I've gone through three rather rough months with money, but I've been fortunate that none dropped me below the $0 mark in my bank account (though I did once hit the $3.47 mark. . . the Friday of Thanksgiving). This past month, one of my cats couldn't urinate (to quote the vet, "You don't know how great it is you can pee until you can't, huh?"), so that pretty well drained my cash at the beginning of November, and I subsisted off a dangerously low account until the end of the month. It's caused me to re-think this whole "Oh, I don't need a credit card" notion that I had back in August when I finally hit a $0 balance on the credit card. I need to build some capital before I can actually get rid of my cards, it seems. I'm glad that I've kept my card open, and have no intention of closing it out, but it is nice to not have that thing weighing me down.
3. It appears that my music collection ceased to expand in the late '90's, and that the collection really should be encased in a flannel. Sure, I own a few recent albums, some that don't have Jimmy Buffett's name on them, but by-and-large, music appears to have died for me somewhere around New Miserable Experience or Garbage, to say nothing of my deep-seated curiosity that often asks, "Where the hell did the Seattle Sound go?" I don't consider myself any sort of music connoisseur, but when I was exposed to that weird grunge-punk fusion that hit the airwaves in the early '90's, I ws hooked. But at ComFest this year, I finally heard a band that peaked my interest: Miss Molly. They're pretty new, local, only have one album, and that album is only available at shows at this point, but I'm excited about the concert at the Thirsty Ear on Dec. 18th, where I'll finally get ahold of the album. seamus_mcnasty and I will be there. . . anyone else want to join us?
4. I am enamoured with today's Shirt.Woot shirt. Also, one from a couple of days ago.
5. I have now watched the entire 7-season run of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the 5-season run of Angel, and have come to the conclusion that while Firefly was pretty damn awesome (seriously, go watch it: it's a Western. . . in space!) and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was also cool, Joss Whedon can really write some crap shows when he sets his mind to it. I had always been unimpressed with Buffy (and the only episode I had ever actually watched, the "Dracula" episode, really lowered the bar in terms of expectations), but having now seen the entire series, I can say that my initial thoughts on the program were clearly incorrect: it was worse than I had feared. Angel, the spin-off, is clearly a temper tantrum about not being allowed to work with a Batman franchise, particularly in the beginning, though it becomes less-so in about Season 5. I will admit to enjoying Spike as a character, but I don't think that his scenes were necessarily enough to make me enjoy such a predictable, simple set of artless story arcs. I prefer Dollhouse, which isn't that good, either.
6. I am currently engaged in an interesting conflict, where I am as stressed as hell about a number of work-related items, but astoundingly happy and joyful about my homelife, and deeply in love. I'm pleased with the way many things are going, wish I had more time for so many other things, and find myself hoping that one of these days, it'll all work out, just like this. . . You know, forever. . .
Current Location: Southeast of Disorder
Current Mood: pleased
Current Music: "The Coast of Marseilles", -JB
Hey, welcome back!!!
Congrats on the zero balance!
Sorry to hear of you kitty cat. I lost one this year for similar reasons. I still miss him.
Enjoy the concert!!!
We acted quickly enough, I think, that the danger is passed. He's peeing like a racehorse at this point :)
very glad to hear this.