Gifting. - Chronarchy

December 3rd, 2003

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:24 pm - Gifting.
You know what? I've found out that I really like buying things for people and mailing them. It really is fun.

And that's why this holiday season is going to hurt: I don't get to.

My original plan was going to be expensive: buy copies of the Principia for all my favourite people and send them out. It would have been beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't do that, because I can't afford it.

So, instead, I have to go back to cards. I hate sending cards. I'm not a cards person. I like to think that I'm creative, though, and I try to cycle cards through. Of course, I've just realized that I haven't kept track of which cards I've sent to people over the years, so I have to buy new cards in order to avoid sending the same card twice in a row and looking cheap. Then again, I am pretty darn cheap.

If I don't have your address, and you'd like to be on my list, email it to me (my email is accessible off my website, and I don't post it in my LJ because of spiders).

Of course, this assumes that I manage to send cards out. I kind of suck at getting them out. In general, I send to friends first, and then to family. Though sometimes it gets all mixed up. But I have a list.

Oh, and I don't expect anything in return. A card is a card, a gift is a gift. If you get either, bully for you.

I get asked why I don't celebrate things. No birthdays, no holidays, nothing. Quite honestly, I'm not totally sure. But I think a lot of it has to do with the weird feeling I get when I know someone bought me something for an occasion. I always feel like they didn't buy it because they like me, but because they felt they had to, and that makes me feel bad. Because of that, I keep my birthday as low profile as possible, and I try to avoid occasions where I might receive gifts.

I really feel that gift-giving shouldn't be done out of obligation, but out of joy and love. I like to send people things out of the blue, not for occasions. I feel like they mean more that way.

If you feel like I do, then you should probably sign up for PostcardX, because it's a lot of fun. I've gotten neat things from it. And it's nice to get mail.

Of course, being anti-celebration myself, I have a hard time remembering/caring that people have birthdays. This gets me into lots of trouble all year long. If someone gives me enough advanced warning, and said warning isn't too advanced, then I can usually remember. But I forget so often it seems to infuriate a lot of people.
Current Mood: calmcalm
Current Music: "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus", -JB

From:bloodlikerain
Date:December 3rd, 2003 06:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
carmen howsmon
1421 Summit St Apt B
Columbus OH
43201
From:moonversion
Date:December 3rd, 2003 06:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree on the whole gift thing. My entire life I have never asked for anything and I just love to give people stuff. I enjoy being out and finding the perfect gift and then giving it just because.

I've only mentioned my birthday this year because I feel after 25 years of being humble, I deserve to be greedy just once. ;D

I have always hated the "gift for a gift" mentality (and hate rituals that are based upon it). You do not give something to get something back. It's rubbish.

I only remember my Husband's birthday because it's fun to pick on him (he's only 15 years older than me for a few more days.. sigh), my son because it is July 4th and I cannot remember our anniversaries (Yahoo sends them to me as reminders; especially since our first anniversaries when we completely forgot). "Special days" are not really important.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 3rd, 2003 08:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"Gift for a Gift" shows up (I think) three times in the Havamal. At least twice, for sure. As such, I would consider it vital to Nordic beliefs, and I have seen evidence that it was probably the prevailing idea in Celtic belief.

Me, I prefer a system of charis to a system of do ut des.

Oh, I'm planning something for my 25th next year. Currently, said plans are formless and floating around, but they'll definitely be "different".
From:moonversion
Date:December 3rd, 2003 09:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And thus we see that I am neither Celtic or Norse, LOL! I believe most IE rituals had a "we're giving you stuff so bless us with long life and wealth and stuff". I don't think that is really a gift for a gift, in the same way as "I am giving you something so I can get something in return and that is the only reason I am giving it". I am usually very uncomfortable at Pagan rituals because the ones I have been to either say "I'm giving you this so you are forced to give me something back" or they boss the Gods around. Yikes.

My Gods were mostly forgotten or horribly insulted, so I find just giving them what I can and not expecting/asking/wanting anything in return helps. There is something to be said for whorshiping Gods that no one has touched for over a thousand years... the Gods tend to be hungry.

We all deserve at least one big birthday bang!
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 3rd, 2003 10:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmm. . . a big birthday bang is just what I need. . . Maybe I can get a Christmas bang?

Oh, wait. . . You were talking about a party, weren't you?

Oops.
From:moonversion
Date:December 3rd, 2003 10:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh yeah, you'll be getting a big bang. Naturally you'll be on the receiving end of many girls with strap-ons. ;)

Now remember... you asked for this... :P
[User Picture]
From:suicidekttn
Date:December 3rd, 2003 07:13 pm (UTC)

Oh, that reminds me...

(Link)
I have a present for you, well kind of for you. It's for Eris too.
>_>
<_< Maybe if I tell the whole story, it'll make more sense. I love buying pins and I saw one that said "Goddess of Chaos", so I immediately thought Mike/Eris (cuz to me it was in the same thought). Anyway, so I got in and have been meaning to give it to you, but I don't know when I'll see you. So I thought I'd tell you. I'll have to find it and put it by my computer and have Ryan give it to you or something. *shrug*
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 3rd, 2003 08:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Cool :) I look forward to it :)

Nice to know that people can think of me immediately sometimes :)
[User Picture]
From:suicidekttn
Date:December 4th, 2003 01:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
Okay, correction, it didn't say Goddess it said Queen. But I still thought both of you would like it.