Current Music: "Turning Around", -JB

From:rubydolphin
Date:December 8th, 2003 07:59 pm (UTC)

there, they're, their

(Link)
Unfortunately, schools in Maryland are so concerned with getting kids to pass standardized tests that English class ends up being teaching those instead of teaching English.

The Maryland Writing Test, which you must pass in order to graduate from high school here, is actually more likely to be failed by honors students. Why? The test, two timed essays, is based solely on content, and a more advanced student is more likely to wander from the subject (having some actual writing skills).

In 12th grade, I saw the results of a girl in the 9th grade I didn't know. She'd passed - barely. Pick a grammatical error; it was present in her paper. The two that really stick in my mind are the persistent run-on sentences, and the word "ingredience" instead of ingredients in an essay on how to make pancakes.

I think that in addition to English 101, all incoming college freshman should have to take Grammar 101. If a functional knowledge of grammar is not required for the DP, it should be (but not right now!). Can't imagine being an SD and having to read page after page of tense disagreements, apostrophe ignorance and the inability to use spell-check. The very thought makes my brain hurt.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 8th, 2003 08:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I haven't had to read any DP's yet, though I've heard from former preceptors that occasionally they come in at about a 4th grade level. *shudders* I'd send 'em back, personally. You can always pass them on to another person to check your work.

I just read a review of a book this morning, and there was precious little evidence that he ever read the damn thing; like I said, though, his grammar was absolutely atrocious.
[User Picture]