Dreams of good-looking things . . . - Chronarchy

December 9th, 2003

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:53 am - Dreams of good-looking things . . .
Workin' on an update to my website. Planning a something a bit different, I think. Don't know when I'm going to finish it yet, though.

I had a dream that I keep meaning to put down here, but I keep forgetting it. I wrote some notes down, and they're sitting next to my bed right now. I'll try to get them up tonight, I think. The dream starred Eris, and there was a supporting cast as well, including mmefrufru. The reason I mention it now is so I can hopefully remember to get the notes so I can write it down! It was interesting, to say the least! It does involve me shirtless, but don't get your hopes up. Please. :) Better yet: let your hopes run rampant, because they sure won't when I actually type in the dream :)

Jenni just named me deputy Preceptor. That means I get to read DP's now. Hopefully, my entry from yesterday won't be any form of precognition about the writing abilities of Dedicants.

*shudders*

Well, we'll see. This'll be a fun new thing to do.

Are there people out there who think I'm not cut out for the stuff I do? If there are, they don't say anything to me. . .

Oops. I should get to work.

Later, ya'll.
Current Mood: chipperchipper
Current Music: "Such a Long Haul, Such a Short Fall", -JB

From:bean_drui
Date:December 9th, 2003 03:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
mmm...you might be reading my stuff from the dedicants program then. ?
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 03:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's possible. Jenni and I haven't worked out what ends up in my hands and what ends up in her's. It's entirely possible that I'll only get questionable ones (like for a second opinoin) or I might get half, or I might get them when she's busy or gets flooded.

*shrugs* I really have no idea. I'm pretty sure I don't get to pick and choose. :)
From:rubydolphin
Date:December 9th, 2003 04:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
it mite b nice to read dps from ppl esp 1s who rite lik tha r txt msgng espeshaly the ppl with gud gramer n spelling they r my favrits

"I read the druids by petre ellis. its a long buk. he talked about druids and how they werent mean but smrat n good it mad my hed hurt"

*ducks and runs*
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 04:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*starts looking for something to throw at rubydolphin*

I had this word processing program once. I don't remember what it was, but it had the ability to tell what grade level you were writing on based on the spelling, grammar, and general structure of the paper.

I found that the more I used the built-in thesaurus the higher my writing level went.

I wonder how many of my papers made any sense when I was replacing the word "report" with "scuttlebutt" or "open" with "initiate".

As in: "This is my book scuttlebutt. It starts when John initiates the door. . ."

Imagine a person using words that make no sense, but chosen simply because they look big. That would be me in 4th grade. I swear, the computer probably made my papers worse :)

*finds a rock and hides it behind his back*

You can come back, rubydolphin. I won't hurt you. Much. :)
From:rubydolphin
Date:December 9th, 2003 04:38 pm (UTC)

Compensation?

(Link)
A friend of mine in college used simple, understandable language in her papers. They were well-written, but you didn't need a dictionary sitting next to you to read it. The tutor (that's what professors at St. John's College are called) advising her on her sophomore essay told her she should use more big words. She responded that she didn't need to compensate for...umm, anything... with a bunch of big words.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 06:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I applied to St. John's College. Or a St. John's College. They had some weird curriculum and had two campuses. I really wanted to go to Santa Fe when I graduated High School, but events conspired against me.

They were weird, though.

As far as big words, I like to think I've avoided compensating for things. . . But I suppose only a select few are ever destined to find out. . .
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 04:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Make sure you send me only copies! I don't wanna lose anything of value :)
[User Picture]
From:hearthstone
Date:December 9th, 2003 05:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Congratulations!

It does sound like a "fun new thing to do" but I imagine it's difficult to evaluate work that is in part going to be so personal. Enjoy!
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 05:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmm. . . I'm not sure whether that line was sarcasm or reality. . . We'll have to wait and see.

I have a feeling it'll be really difficult. But I encourage everyone to do their best so I don't have to write rejection letters. :)
[User Picture]
From:qorinda
Date:December 9th, 2003 07:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm excited for you, and for me. *grin*
I very much enjoyed the comments you had made yesterday about reading DPs. Funny - when you made them, I thought you had known...... Good things to come. Congrats!
From:bloodlikerain
Date:December 9th, 2003 08:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
so I was browsing through your web page, and more specifically pics of your alter, and I found this phrase: "This particular shelf started out as the shelf for books I had little respect for or that had little relevance to my own practices (you'll find the shelf of books I have no respect for or that had no relevance to my practices below it".

any chance you wanna get rid of the books completely?
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 9th, 2003 08:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No, actually. I don't get rid of books for any reason :) After all, just cuz Starhawk isn't relevant to my practices and I don't care much for her, I still need to have her books so I can refer to them. Remember, I have an academic interest in them, even if there's no spiritual interest.

21 Lessons of Merlyn was a terrible book, but I like to be able to tell people exactly why, and if you can quote from it, you can explain it a lot better.
From:rubydolphin
Date:December 9th, 2003 08:37 pm (UTC)

Another book hoarder

(Link)
I, too, tend to hoard books. However, I am not a scholar and simply cannot find it in my to hang on to Bucky's Big Blue Book or Telesco's Urban Pagan any longer. I am in the process of finally getting bookshelves on the wall and have realized that even with the additional shelf space, I still don't have enough room for all of them. Some are duplicates as a result of buying the "complete works" of this author or that (mostly Shakespeare and Aristotle in that instance), but some are just too awful to keep any longer. I have books I've had for years and not read yet that I will keep before those.
[User Picture]