7 raherakhts a-swallowing.
6 ladyoceanstars a-grinning.
5 orange mlleelizabeths.
4 drumming jadewaterflames.
3 Scottish rhiannon76s.
2 turkey sarah418s.
And a vampyrecandy in a apple tree.
Get gifts! Username:
Another fun meme brought to you by rfreebern.

Crazy little thing. It's definitely amusing, though :)

Tina and I hung out last night at Half Price Books. I almost made it out. Alas, a book caught my eye: Peter Pan. I had to purchase it. If nothing else, we have to remember that "Peter Pan would understand his dreams, schemes, and ploys." I also picked up Pressfield's novel on Alcibiades. I've been looking forward to reading that since I finished Gates of Fire.

Oh, and I got a copy of Sir Walter Scott's letters on demonology and witchcraft. Mucho cool.

I finished several chapters in C.S. Forrester's The Gun last night. It's really a very good book, and I'm very impressed with it. I highly recommend it. It's the story of a gun, an 18-pounder, in Spain during the Napoleonic wars. It talks a lot about the nature of men and leadership. The gun is the main character, the others just passing through its life as it changes hands.

There will definitely be a total of three Christmas presents this year. One to my cousin (whose name I drew for the family gift exchange), one for Tina, and one for Brian. I simply can't afford anything more. And the reason I can't? It stems all from one person. One singular person. And I am not happy.

On the bright side of life, I'm getting responses to the announcement for Saturnalia. Everyone should come.

I found this in the dictionary today:
WORD HISTORY The word fornication had a lowly beginning suitable to the low moral status of the act to which it refers. It ultimately comes from the Latin word fornix, "a vault, an arch," which by extension also referred to a vaulted cellar where prostitutes plied their trade. This sense of fornix in Late Latin yielded the verb fornicari, "to commit fornincation," from which was derived fornicatio, "whoredom, fornication," the source of English fornication.

Bet you didn't know that.

And thanks very much to those who wrote me a story. Perhaps next time it'll be a contest :)
Current Mood: cheerfulcheerful
Current Music: "Island", -JB

From:vampyrecandy
Date:December 16th, 2003 04:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ooh, I get to be in an apple tree!

I love etymology. It's such fun. I'd be better at it if my dad would have let me take Latin in high school.

I sold some books at HPB's the other day ... Got 5 bucks for them. Total.

But, they were all crap, so I guess I should be happy that they were kind enough to pay me that much rather than make me pay them to take them off of my hands.
[User Picture]
From:rhiannon76
Date:December 16th, 2003 04:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
3 Scottish rhiannon76s

how very fitting, since i am partly scots. :)

i would come to your saturnalia, except i have to be back in time for our yule the next morning. also, i've got a dance performance friday night.
From:chronarchy
Date:December 17th, 2003 02:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm afraid that you're the only one who can aswer that, lass. . .