Current Music: "Gypsies in the Palace", -JB

From:athanasios
Date:December 18th, 2003 02:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
According to Skip a Grove cannot have a High Day ritual, as part of its 8 a year, that is not in the Bylaws.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 18th, 2003 02:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Eh, too late to change that now.

So, what you're saying is (I'm re-phrasing so I can make sure I understand):

If we have not specifically designated the Winter Solstice as a Roman rite entitled "Saturnalia", we cannot use that to fulfil our requirement.

Along those same lines, if a Grove does not designate a cultural focus and name for all festivals in its By-Laws, may not hold High Days?

Hmm. . . I suppose Three Cranes will be put under review this quarter, seeing as we can't plan around that. You're on the GCC, right? Mind letting me know in advance if our charter is in question? Esp. if we get to be made an example of :)

We're going to go through with it. As I said above, I can't change it now. But you should come to the ritual. It'd be fun!
[User Picture]
From:athanasios
Date:December 18th, 2003 03:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I told Jenni some time ago that I could not make it on Friday. She originally said, back in October, that it would be on Saturday. So, I will miss it.

This is what Skip said on the Clergy Council list, since it is obviously his interpretation of ADF policy I am posting it here -- since it is not sensitive Clergy Council material:

"This organization is a NEOPAGAN organization. Not a religious organization from the Bronze Age. As such, the mainstream for ADF is what is in our bylaws as regards holidays and calendar.

Even though this thread is about personal practice, I can see the need to remind EVERYONE that as of now, ALL ADF groves MUST be following the 8 ADF High Days, as designated in our bylaws, for their High Day Rituals. This should be reflected in the grove reports going into the GCC.

Even though we had discussed allowing groves to apply for exemptions to those High Days through the Clergy Council in the 'Cape Cod Accords', those accords have never been presented to the MG for approval, even though the person responsible for it has been reminded numerous times. So therefore, no groves have been given an exemption by the Clergy Council."

I am not going to allow the "tyranny of the majority" to force my grove to change its focus.

Yes, I am on the GCC...not sure how long though.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 18th, 2003 03:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I for one will miss you at the rite. Friday just happened to work best for us for some reason.

those accords have never been presented to the MG for approval, even though the person responsible for it has been reminded numerous times.

Sounds very familiar.

IMHO, a person needs to do the stuff they've said they will do. If they do not, then they really should pass it to someone else to do it. I'd present the Accords if I could.

As it stands, the Cape Cod retreat is looking more and more like a waste of money, at least from my limited perspective.

All that is beside the point though.

Someone needs to poke the person responsible for presenting them, or else take the Accords out of his hands.

Those things need either to be passed, or scrapped.

There are things from the CoSD meeting last Wellspring that haven't been done yet that I'm still waiting to see posted. Maybe I should ask Flip what they were and do it myself.

But the GOH is another place where I'm seeing people who volunteered not doing the stuff they said they would. I'm hoping to see that change in the next week, since you did set a deadline of the end of the year.

If not, I'd like to work with you and Todd to get *something* out to new GOs. We have a lot of good info already done.