The Schmuck I Am - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

December 30th, 2003

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:06 pm - The Schmuck I Am
I hate it when it bothers me that I've done something moral. I'm sick of that feeling.

Today I found $20 at the foot of a register at Wendy's, obviously dropped by a customer.

I turned it in to the register.

The customer was long gone, and apparently hadn't noticed or didn't care. Yet I turned it in anyway.

I felt like a schmuck.

I still feel that way. There was no good reason to turn it in, especially to the register.

I sat there for about 20 minutes. No one rushed up to the register to claim it, and I doubt anyone will. And I know that $20 could have been well used by me.

But the crux of the problem is that I feel so bad for doing what I know was right.

Hell, not 10 minutes before, I was wondering what would happen if I dropped a wad of cash out of my pocket, which happened to be folded in exactly the same way.

I feel like I've been made an ass of.
Current Mood: aggravatedaggravated
Current Music: "Cheeseburger in Paradise", -JB

From:bean_drui
Date:December 30th, 2003 06:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
don't feel like a schmuck.... just think of it this way....

(yes, that could have made you 20 bucks richer) but you probably made the cashiers day!
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 30th, 2003 06:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. You're probably very right.

Of course, that doesn't make me feel much better about it. After all, I could have made my day, too :)

Am I too pessimistic?
[User Picture]
From:bean_drui
Date:December 30th, 2003 09:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Not too pessimistic in this situation, just a little hard on yourself it seems.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 30th, 2003 09:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*grins* I usually am.
[User Picture]
From:hearthstone
Date:December 30th, 2003 08:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
How would you be feeling if you hadn't turned it in, though?

(Chicks dig ethics, btw! :))
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 30th, 2003 08:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Honestly, probably very much the same way. But I'd almost certinaly be feeling $20 richer :)

But knowing that chics dig ethics is a good thing. Makes me feel a bit better. :)
From:chronarchy
Date:December 30th, 2003 08:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, you dare. :)

I actually wrote that entire bit while sitting in Wendys, and finished it just before I left (I have a bad habit of doing that).

However, I do still feel a bit like a schmuck for letting $20 go :) Not really that it's anything new.

Of course, I was quite relieved that the person who was standing at the counter just then didn't claim it when I asked him. Esp. since I knew he didn't drop it. His words: "I'd love to say it was mine, but it isn't."

He probably feels about like I do.
[User Picture]
From:bean_drui
Date:December 30th, 2003 09:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
With all this talk about ethics I'd like to poke another comment in... and this probably isn't going to make anyone happy so I'll apologize ahead of time for that.

But, if you watched the cash register and no one claimed the money... and say that if no one did after that, then how was this the right thing to do? The "right" thing to do would have been to return the money to its owner... but in the case that that is either extremely unlikely or not possible, I don't think it matters, as far as ethics are concerned, whether the extra 20 goes to the cashier, or you.
[User Picture]
From:qorinda
Date:December 30th, 2003 10:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I am the type that usually gives the money back also, and who corrects a cashier if they give me too much change - and I can ill afford it either.

I remember one time I went to a workshop at Omega in upstate New York. I was supposed to pay $100 and do some workstudy. Well, I did the workstudy, and they sent me back the check for $100. I called them and told them of their mistake, and they argued with me and said, No, it's my refund. I went back and traced my records, and called them again, explaining the whole thing with dates and names, and then they realized their mistake, and asked me to send the money back.

Could I have used that $100? Absolutely. In fact, I had a secret hope that they would say keep it for being so honest. But the truth is, if it were MY retreat center, and I do hope to have one someday, I would prefer it if people were that honest with ME. So.... how could I do less?

But someone raised the question with me: What if it is a gift from the universe? And that gets me thinking.
[User Picture]
From:anivair
Date:December 31st, 2003 02:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
You know that having Eris for a patron is just like asking to be made a fool of based on your innermost ponderings, yes?

Just double checking . . .
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 31st, 2003 02:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, yeah :)
[User Picture]
From:mlleelizabeth
Date:December 31st, 2003 06:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You did the right thing and earned the karmic brownie points, so you're definitely not a schmuck. But next time, if you want to try something different, you could always drop the cash in some charity collection bin.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:December 31st, 2003 06:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ooh. That would be a much better idea! And then it's even a tax write-off! :)