So I'm playing . . . - Chronarchy

August 13th, 2003

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:16 am - So I'm playing . . .
As you can see below, I just decided to play with the Rune Casting thing so many people on LJ have been using. After reading a bunch of them, I was wondering if this thing had any "bad Runes" in it.

It doesn't. It's fluffy, and I hate fluffy. Especially with Runes. Take the description for Hagalaz (hail), for instance:

Hagall - Slow, steady pace, no disruptions, asking for a hand from fate within a situation you do not control.

Or this one (need):

Neid - Need, desire, fulfilling those needs, love and sex magick, motivation created by distress.

And Isa (ice):

Isa - Cessation of energy, freezing an issue where it stands, cooling relationships, separation, division.

These should read more like this:

Hagall - Hail, destructive force, starvation, chaos, anger.
Neid - Poverty, nakedness, death from starvation and frost.
Isa - Freezing, immobility, ice.

None of this happy-spin garbage.

My guess is that he's using the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem, which is happier, but I can't abide these three Runes (always in series) being any good.

What I really don't get is the obsession with sex magic here. . . I don't know *any* Runes for that!
Current Mood: coldcold
Current Music: "Island", -JB

From:autumnfey
Date:August 13th, 2003 05:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
While I agree that their Hagall is all wrong (it is exactly disruption, shock, chaos) and I see your Isa, I'm not so sure about your Neid (especially as it concerns the reading I just did . . .)

As for sex magic, I'm guessing it is to spice things up and hey, what else are anti-social horny techno pagan geeks going to what to fantasize about other than being all powerful sex magic gods . . .
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:August 13th, 2003 06:30 pm (UTC)

I try

(Link)
(nauð) gørir hneppa kosti; nøktan kelr í frosti.

"Poverty causes distress; [the] naked freeze in frost."

Yeah, that's my translation from one of the Rune Poems. My reading of Need isn't of something fulfiling a need, it's of a complete lack of something, to the point of death.

My translation of the Rune Poem is on my webpage.

Of course, your results may differ. . .