Ah, quiz answers. . . - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

February 27th, 2004

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:37 pm - Ah, quiz answers. . .
So there was a quiz about two weeks ago. You can view the original post here.

I figured I should answer the damn thing, now that I have a bit of time.

Which Jimmy Buffett lyrics has chronarchy lived, and to what extent? (song title first, then explaination)

1: I've told some lies, met some spies, and danced barefoot in the sand.

"A Sailor's Christmas" - yes on all counts. I've told more than my fair share of lies in my life, and my cousin has worked for the US as a spy (in the loosest sense of the word, of course), and I've danced barefoot in sand.

2: I walked through the town were I grew up, and someone told me I was in town.

"I Heard I was in Town" - that's happened once. It was rather amusing.

3: I was supposed to have been a Jesuit priest or a Naval Academy grad. That was the way my parents perceived me, and those were the plans that they had.

"We are the People our Parents Warned Us About" - Nope. My father tried his damnedest to keep me out of the military, and succeeded. We also aren't Catholic. But I was supposed to be a shrewd business-man, which I am not.

4: I love cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf.

"We are the People our Parents Warned Us About" - I've never had a cajun martini because I can't get anyone to make me one. And golf is not something I'm really into.

5: I tried to amend my carnivorus habit, and made it nearly 70 days.

"Cheeseburger in Paradise" - dude, I *so* didn't make it "nearly 70 days"!

6: I like mine with lettuce and tomato, heinz 57 and french-fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer (and mustard and onions, all done "medium rare". . . basically just like the song says)

"Cheeseburger in Paradise" - Yes. Definitely. But with two things: The beer needs to be replaced with a mango margarita, and "medium rare" does not mean "still mooing".

7: I spent some time with an old friend, and in greeting I was pleasently surprised when she kissed my cheek and called me by an old nickname.

"Turnabout" - Yes.

8: I've asked myself when I got in a fix, 'What would Popeye do in a tight spot like this?'

"Take it Back" - All the time.

9: Fallen in love in a library.

"Love in the Library" - Yes. Multiple times, exactly as the song says. But never in Civil War History.

10: Asked a girl, "Please come to Boston?"

"Please Come to Boston" - Yes. Not by Jimmy, but he covered it. Both respondants got extra credit, one for telling me it wasn't done by Jimmy originally, but the other for telling me who the girl was.

11: I'm descended from a long line of sailors.

"Son of a Son of a Sailor" - Nope. We're land-bound.

12: I sat on a bench in Jackson Square, drinking wine and breathing midnight air.

"There's Nothin' Soft About Hard Times" - Never have. But I'm looking at trips to New Orleans so I can. :)

13: Actually, seriously asked, "Who's gonna steal the peanut butter?"

"The Peanut Butter Conspiracy" - No, not seriously. :)

14: My oringinal destination is just another story I love to tell.

"Cowboy in the Jungle" - Yes, it is.

15: When I tell people about my life, it's really only partially true. Of course, the life and the tellin' are both real to me, and they all run together. Believe it or not, I've made up a few things, and there are some I've forgotten.

"Semi-True Story" - This is the case. Not everything is true, but it's all honest.

16: I will tell stories for gumbo. Gumbo is a bit like religion and a lot like sex, mainly because I never know when I'll get it next.

"I Will Play for Gumbo" - Yes, baby, yes. Give me that sausage and shrimp!

17: Sometimes I feel like I've lived too long, like the days drip slowly on the page.

"Pacing the Cage" - Oh, occasionally, but not really.

18: My only tatoo is a badge of validation, or so I say. Really, it's more of a permanent remeinder of a rather temporary feeling.

"Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling" - Sorry, no tattoos. I look pretty much like when I was born, but bigger.

19: I looked to my right and saw a terrible sight: the bass-man taking a bad fall!

"Kick it in Second Wind" - actually, yes, I have. It was kind of funny, but at the time it wasn't. . .

20: I sayed in a Holiday Inn once where there was a convention of surgeons. They got me drunk on beer and took me out to see a stripper.

"Miss You So Badly" - Not drunk, but I did say where there was a cheerleader convention. . . That was an interesting night. . .

21: Once, I ran into a chum with a bottle of rum and we wound up drinking all night.

"Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitiudes" - No. For some reason, I seem to be the person buying the alcohol for my friends.

22: When I need a holiday, I just grab my backpack and hit the trail.

"Holiday" - Damn straight.

23: I live in a terminal daydream.

"I Don't Know (Spicoli's Theme)" - If you don't know this by now, you don't know me.

24: I've committed a little mortal sin at a drive in.

"Grapefruit-Juicyfruit" - No, but (unlike most of my generation), I've been to an actual drive-in.

25: My ideal vacation is not where I can dress to suit the weather, but where the weather suits my clothes.

"Everybody's Talkin'" - Very much. Again, not a Buffett song, but a cover. Extra points for calling that.

26: I've had covert randezvous in the place down the block. There's no clock on the wall, so lunch effectively lasts forever.

"I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever" - Yes. Highly covert. And there is no clock.

27: On the wall in the bathroom of Captain Tony's Saloon, I've read the words, "I ate the last mango in Paris."

"Last Mango in Paris" - Actually, from what I understand, that graffiti isn't on the wall of the head in Capt. Tony's, but I didn't go check when I was in the bar.

28: I've made points with more than one stewardess high over Long Island Sound.

"The Weather Is Here (I Wish You Were Beautiful)" - No. I've flown over Long Island Sound twice, but the first time the stewardess was way too busy to be flirted with, and the second time it was a guy.

29: I've eaten doughnuts at the Cafe Du Monde. They came out so deliciously hot, I couldn't touch them, but eventually I won. I ate way too much.

"The Wino and I Know" - I've never been to the Cafe Du Monde, but I have eaten deliciously hot doughnuts that I eventually ate too much of.

30: I've woken up on the steps of a whore-house.

"African Friend" - No, but it would make a killer story, huh?

31: I once grew (or rather tried to grow) a Boston Blackie mustache.

"Pencil-Thin Mustache" - To my credit, I have never tried to grow a mustache.

32: Tried to call my girl from a noisy bar in Avalon.

"Southern Cross" - No, I haven't. This is also a cover, but no one mentioned that.

33: Spent 3 days on a train.

"Fins" - Nope.

34: I shot six holes in my freezer.

"Boat Drinks" - Well, not *my* freezer. . .

35: I piled up a bunch of demerits in high school, just because I could.

"Altered Boy" - Nope, I was a good kid.

36: When I'm drunk, I'm a fearless man.

"God's Own Drunk" - Never been drunk, so I don't know.

37: As I get older, the desire to move around is becoming more pronounced, and I want less and less to go home.

"Wonder Why We Ever Go Home" - This is very, very true.

38: I had dreams of becoming an eco-terrorist at one point, but they're somewhat of a dying breed.

"Ballad of Skip Wiley" - I think I might have entertained the idea, but never really did anything to prepare for that career.

39: When it comes to ritual, I always consider myself a gypsy, left alone in the palace of the Gods.

"Gypsys in the Palace" - A gypsy, yes. Alone, never.

40: I recently spent a lunch break that just didn't end. There was hell to pay the next morning, but I didn't care.

"Five O'Clock Somewhere" - Nope. I'm generally back in good time from my lunches.

qorinda, you win. I'll have to give you your prize in person, though. Hope you don't mind :)
Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: "Boat Drinks", -JB