One Golden Apple, some runic indicators, and one hell of a problem. - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

March 22nd, 2004

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
06:54 pm - One Golden Apple, some runic indicators, and one hell of a problem.
What an interesting weekend.

First off, I've changed my bio around. Go take a look at it. This week, vampyrecandy gets featured. I'll have another one up next week :)

Secondly, there was the Grove Equinox Rite. Nine people (including myself) showed up. I re-wrote this ritual for a Grove member on Saturday night because of some issues he's having. I was up till about 2:30 Sat. night trying to get everything done.

I scurried to the office that day to print off the revised liturgy, and sitting on my desk was a true sign.

A golden delicious apple was on my desk.

Now, I'd just been to my office after Tom and Faith's wedding on Saturday. There was no apple there then. I'm the only person who goes to my office on the weekends.

How did it get there? Hell, I don't know. And I don't care. Really, it was just a crazy, mixed up weekend for everyone that I know, and I assume this meant that Eris was hanging around.

So I go down to Grove City to pick up someone who's never been to one of our rituals before. I picked her up (after meeting some family members to prove I wasn't a weirdo guy she met on the internet), and we drove back to my place, where I had forgotten my robe. I picked that up, and then we went to buy ritual supplies. I tried to stop at what I thought was a Meijer, but was actually a Big Bear Grocery store that had gone out of business. At this point, it was a quarter to noon, and I was supposed to be at the ritual at noon.

Well, I crossed my fingers, and went for broke, counting on my memory to show that there was indeed a Meijer just north of where I was, and that Jenni had gotten to the ritual site and started the fire and was welcoming people.

I did find the Meijer (just north of Highbanks, actually, so not far) and picked up *all* our sacrifices in about 15 minutes. It ran $37, I think.

I got to the ritual site, and beat everyone except Jenni, who already had the fires going (bless her) and people started showing up around 12:15.

The ritual actually went off very well. Jenni was the only Grove member who showed up, but Karen (from 6th Night) also came by, and I gave her a part, which helped immensely.

We gave each person a pair of runes for the omen. I walked around and read them one at a time. I felt obliged to put a bit of a positive spin on most of the runes (even Hagalaz, but only because of the nature of the rite we did).

My runes were a different story, though. I drew two in particular:

First came this rune:

Norwegian Rune Poem
Need gives scant choice;
a naked man is frozen by the frost.

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem:
Trouble is distress on the chest and often strife of the servant;
yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes.

Icelandic Rune Poem
Constraint
grief of the bond-maid
and state of oppression
and toilsome work.

Next came this rune:

Norwegian Rune Poem
Ice we call the broad bridge;
the blind must be led.

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem
Ice is very cold and immeasurably slippery;
it glistens as clear as glass and most like to gems;
it is a floor wrought by the frost, fair to look upon.

Icelandic Rune Poem
Ice
bark of rivers
and roof of the wave
and destruction of the doomed.

When I saw those runes, I saw the following things:

1. I'm not doing enough, or there's something I'm forgetting. Something in my worship isn't up to par. It looks pretty, but it's severely lacking.

2. Whatever it is, it's obvious. Others can see it, but I'm blind to it.

3. I have much, much work to do. I see it as a lack of piety, at least that's the inital thought. Of course, I'm supposed to be blind to whatever it is, so I could be barking up the wrong tree.

4. It's something internal, and I need to look past the outward signs to find the internal struggle.

5. I need to figure it out. Death (slow and painful) is the outcome if I don't. The rewards are quite clear, too, though. There's a definite resolution, and a beauty that it holds.

Comments?
Current Mood: intimidatedintimidated
Current Music: "The Pascagoula Run", -JB

(1 comment Leave a comment)