Mmmm. . . Eggs. . . . - Chronarchy — LiveJournal

March 26th, 2004

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:28 am - Mmmm. . . Eggs. . . .
I'm having eggs for breakfast. Cadbury Creme Eggs.

So last night I got my newest copy of Oak Leaves. I was extremely excited to see that it was lime green. I was even more excited to see Cernunnos on the cover. But something about Cernunnos didn't look quite right. What was it?

Was it the snake and the torc being held in the wrong hand? No, that wasn't it. Was it the strange-looking antlers? No. Gee, what could it be?

It's the legs! The picture has Cernunnos with hairy legs and cloven hoves! I laughed when I saw that, just picturing the look on Cei's face when he opened his envelope and saw goat legs on Cernunnos. I could see him sputtering in indignation. "Cernunnos doesn't look like that!" he would shout, shaking his fist at the cover.

I couldn't stop laughing at that mental image. Especially since the picture is so well drawn, but I just imagine Cei getting lost in the details.

So I opened it up to see what was inside. There were 7 articles/items in 44 pages. The content was good (I especially liked athanasios' bit about names, and I haven't gotten to Cei's article yet), but I want *more*.

The last issue of Oak Leaves was 64 pages with 13 features. The one before that was 68 with 16 features. To me, that's closer to where Oak Leaves should be.

Of course, this isn't the fault of the staff. They shouldn't be writing the Org's Newsletter, just putting it together. Really it's our fault, because we aren't submitting. So why am I writing this? Because we need to submit stuff. Essays, reviews, poetry. Anything you have.

Medium of Submission: Electronic submissions are preferred, sent as email attachments to the Oak Leaves submissions address (oak-leaves@adf.org). Send only one attachment per email, specifying the format in the message. We will also accept electronic submissions on IBM PC-compatible diskettes, sent to the mailing address above. Please include a 30-word or less bio of yourself for our contributors listing.

The deadline for submissions is April 1, so get crackin', if you have something.
Current Mood: busy
Current Music: "Everybody's Talkin'", -JB

From:athanasios
Date:March 26th, 2004 06:36 am (UTC)
(Link)
"Of course, this isn't the fault of the staff. They shouldn't be writing the Org's Newsletter, just putting it together. Really it's our fault, because we aren't submitting. So why am I writing this? Because we need to submit stuff. Essays, reviews, poetry. Anything you have."

AMEN to you brother! More submissions are necessary, I've never turned anyone away!
[User Picture]
From:tlachtga
Date:March 26th, 2004 07:15 am (UTC)
(Link)
To be honest, while I've thought of contributing an article, I never knew what exactly the guidelines where. That and a fear of rejection. But if there's really a need for submissions, I have a few things you all might want to look over.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 07:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
*grins* Yes, submit :) Oh, and once I get you this book by Iolo on the Triads of Britain, you need to write something about that, too :)

Full submission guidelines can be found here:

http://www.adf.org/articles/publications/oak-leaves.html
[User Picture]
From:tlachtga
Date:March 26th, 2004 07:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh definitely--I'd love to write about the problems inherent with reading older books on Druidry and forged literature, and its influence on what ADF is trying to do--namely getting away from the forgeries and romanticism that, frankly, OBOD embraces (though I guess I'll have to be careful if I bring in that last part--no need to step on anyone's toes needlessly).

I'm actually currently working on a project about how to be an urban druid--something born out of the nature requirement in the new DP, and the fact that I live in downtown Philadelphia. Maybe it'll be done in time for July 1.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 07:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm actually currently working on a project about how to be an urban druid--something born out of the nature requirement in the new DP

*grins* I'm working on something similar born out of a post on ADF-Dedicants. I wrote about half of it last night, but wanted to include a lot of the writing I did on that email.

Perhaps we should compare notes first?

*laughs* We could talk about it over porn and chicken at Trillium. You bring the KFC?

I need to examine that particular requirement more closely. I don't think that there's actually a *nature awareness* requirement, but a Kindred requirement that fills that gap.
[User Picture]
From:tlachtga
Date:March 26th, 2004 08:10 am (UTC)
(Link)
Comparing notes might not be a bad idea--I'll be waiting with a stack of paper and lots o' chicken. :)

But seriously, I'd be curious to see what you have. I don't want to steal your thunder, so I may look for a different topic to write on.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 08:14 am (UTC)
(Link)
Haha. I have no thunder. Unless you count my booming voice. :)

I'll probably post it here in the near future (gonna try to finish it this weekend), and we can see if you're thinking the same general thoughts, or if yours are radically different. If we're thinking the same, then maybe we should just write one and be co-authors. If you're thinking different, then we should take radically opposite stances and both submit.
[User Picture]
From:tlachtga
Date:March 26th, 2004 08:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
OK, that sounds like a good idea to me. :)
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 08:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
*grins* Hopefully we're different. Oak Leaves needs a good fight :)

*laughs*
From:healing_coyote
Date:March 26th, 2004 10:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Porn and chicken at Trillium? I KNEW there was a reason I signed up! LOL

Does OakLeaves post online? I want to peruse it...
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 10:21 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yep. Porn and Chicken. Or, in old norse: Porn eða hani

(actually, that's literally "porn and cock", which is an interesting double-entendre)

It does on the ADF Member's side. :)

I'll bring my copy to Trillium. Once it gets loaded in PDF, I'll see what can be done about a copy.
[User Picture]
From:chronarchy
Date:March 26th, 2004 07:39 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, I meant to ask you: You got my ADF-Wicca essay, right? Did you get the Eris & ADF liturgy essay I sent you (I think) a month ago?
[User Picture]